Sunday, August 23, 2009

So I've had a great couple days. I actually feel like I experienced Honduras yesterday. Friday was my second half day of teaching. It was a great day. I love teaching. I had my 8th graders and they are hilarious. They had problems adjusting last year with being a chatty class and just behavioral problems. The school worked with them a lot last year so we'll see how this year goes. I am not a teacher who needs the classroom constantly quiet so hopefully we'll get a long just fine. It is night and day difference with my 7th graders. They don't say a word! I am sure that will change. We'll see how Monday goes when I actually have to teach a math lesson.
We still don't have a maid but last Wednesday and Friday we've had subs. Maids will often cook for you if you asked, so we asked and came home from school to arroz con pollo (rice and chicken). It was so nice after being in meetings all afternoon. So after another sweet walk we chowed down, watched The Office and went to bed.
Saturday morning up at 6 AM. No sleeping in here! Every other Saturday a school bus will take us to the market. I love doing stuff like that. The market is every Friday and Saturday when people from the country bring in their fruits and vegetables to sell. So we stocked up on fruits and veggies. I also bought a bed side table and hangers. You can find just about anything there. We ate some food while we were there too, baleadas. I love feeling like I am actually in Honduras instead of being in the complex.
That afternoon we met up with a returning teacher, Caroline. She is involved in working with feeding centers. She also has a car which we are thankful for! So we drove to a gas station and waited for a pastor to pick us up. On the way to the gas station some police that were standing around decided to flag us down because 5 white girls driving around looks a little odd. But it all was fine. The pastor came and we piled into the back up his truck to pretty much drive straight up a decently steep river bed road. It was a fun bumpy ride! :) We got up to the feeding center and there were about 100 kids there. Every day during the week there is a crew that goes to the feeding center to feed sponsored kids and then on Saturdays any kid can go, I think that is how it is at least. Anyway, some of the leaders lead prayer and song and then we lead little lessons. Caroline led a lesson and I added my 2 cents too all impromptu which was a fun challenge. After the lesson the kids lined up with their cups and waited for their rice. We also handed out little bananas and we ran out of everything with at least 20 kids to go. Sad. We had some time to interact with the kids talking to them and loving on them before we headed back down.
When we got back we had to wait for another teacher so that we could follow her. We ended up sitting in a gas station parking lot for about 20 minutes as there was a demonstration supporting Zelaya (the former president). It was peaceful. There were maybe 100 cars with flags taking up the whole road honking and yelling. No violence though. They did however block the road we wanted to take so we ended up having to go another way. But it all worked out.
Today I went to church with one of the Honduran teachers. It is a bit outside of the city. The people were very friendly and it was fun to get out of the city. What was church like. A bit charismatic and the preacher was a yeller. A good 2 hours long, but it was nice! Afterwards we went out for lunch and now it is time for a Sunday afternoon nap!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Way to be adventurous, Cara! I wish you luck making your math lessons exciting. Just throw in some food and it will all be better. Just kidding, since it's illegal in the classroom. :-S It was fun to read about your experiences!

Van Huis' said...

Sounds like you had a busy weekend! Glad you're getting to experience so much and I'm glad you're adventurous so I don't have to be. :)