Monday, August 10, 2009

Honduras 1st impression…It is GREEN!
2nd impression…The roads are NOT user friendly. Reminds me of Santa Fe with the donkey trails.
3rd impression…it rocks my socks.
Things are going marvelously. My flights were as smooth as could be. 2 of my roommates and I found each other in Houston. Immigration was no problem. My bags came and weren’t searched. I was greeted by my principal right outside of customs. The bus driver helped me with my 99 lbs of luggage. It truly was marvelous. The school is located towards the top of a hill. The drive to the school from the airport is up a windy road that overlooks the city as you go up. It is an impressive sight. The city is located in the mountains/green foothills; so it just weaves its way through these hills creating this vast city of Tegucigalpa. Along the drive you will see homes of ambassadors that are mansions and homes that consist of one room. The higher you get on the hill the nicer the houses. It is a drawback to be on the hill because you easily can just live in this North American compound, but my goal is to not let that happen.
The school is a gated campus with a wall and barbwire fencing on the top of the walls. We are definitely safe. There are 4 apartment buildings that each house 8 people; 4 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartments. I am living in a 4 bedroom apartment. It is a very large apartment. You walk into an open area that is the dining area the living area and the kitchen; all open to each other and all spacious. Off each side of this open area are the bedrooms and bathrooms; 2 bedrooms and a bathroom off each side. The bedrooms are HUGE. They provide a dresser, desk and bed and the closets are about 7 feet long and 5 feet wide. It looks naked with my 2 suitcases worth of stuff! I feel spoiled to have such accommodations. And yes we do get hot showers.
Along with having such accommodations is the expectation of having a maid. So 3-4 times a week a maid will come in and clean for us, do our laundry, and cook. We are spoiled/blessed! It will be an interesting experience!
My roommates. Christa, Stephanie and Sarah. The school did a wonderful job of matching us up. I feel blessed. They are all kind, caring spirits with a passion to get out into the community and experience as much as possible. I can’t see any drama happening with us which I am so thankful for! Christa and Sarah are both teaching 2nd grade and Steph is the jr. high art teacher. They are already good friends.
The school. Very spread out. The high school is made up of 3 buildings. Plus the gym and auditorium. Elementary is also made up of 3 buildings plus random other areas. That will be an adjustment from the closeness of Rehoboth and the teachers eating lunch together and whatnot. My classroom is large and has a white boards and lots of white walls and nothing to decorate them! There are 350 students 7-12 and around 500 K-6. 7th and 8th are considered high school here. The school is 44 years old this year I think I remember hearing.
What have we been doing? Nothing…Saturday was fly in get yourself settled day…Sunday was go to church (Spanish speaking non-denominational church. Pretty much your average church but in Spanish) take Sunday afternoon naps, get a tour of the campus, eat dinner, play catch phrase, figure out shopping lists.
What am I thinking? This is going to be fun and an experience. I feel that my roommates will be great support on those tough days and even the good ones. I am thankful that there are people that don’t want to stay in their comfort zones and want to branch out. I am just thankful to be here!
Wrote that on Sunday...today is Monday night...
Today was lots of fun things like learning what foods to buy and how to wash our fruits and veggies so we don't get sick. Then we learned what our maids are to do for us and how much to pay....Then we filled out insurance forms etc...then we went shopping...I don't like shopping...We first went to a plastic store to buy buckets and tubs and laundry baskets etc...Then we went to a mall that has a Wal-Mart type store to buy groceries and other little stuff for the apartment. We accomplished a lot, buying a lot for not a lot of money and now we can eat all by ourselves.
Tomorrow is more meetings and working in the classroom! So next blog I can tell you all about my classroom...that will be so exciting! ;)

2 comments:

Van Huis' said...

Thanks for the update! I was practically crying because I'm so glad you love it and I'm also feeling like you're so far away! I love being able to picture where you are and what you're up to. Keep us posted. Love you Cara!

Trisha Long said...

How exciting! We're reading this with great interest (and maybe a little jealousy) Cara... continue to enjoy it all and have fun experiencing all the colors and culture of your new home!