Monday, August 17, 2009

2 great things happened in the past couple of days.
1st great thing...I was able to attend church in El Centro. These days El Centro can be a bit dangerous with protests but Sunday was a peaceful day, only fitting, so we got to go worship there. A couple veteran teachers worship there and they invited us to check it out so we did! It is great to have returning teachers around that can help us find ways to connect and get off the mountain. The service was a bit different than a typical service at this church as a lot of teachers from the international school were there checking it out and so everything was translated as we went. It was still a great service just a lot of gringos. I like worshipping God in Spanish. There is just something about singing in Spanish that just speaks to my heart. You all should try it sometime. After church we took a bit of a walking tour of el centro looking for a place to eat lunch. There was evidence of protests in a few broken windows. But have no fear there was nothing that even resembled a protest when we were there. So that was my first great thing...
2nd great thing...I got to hang out with some students tonight. Some seniors came in to make posters for the hallways and just to hang out. They are pretty cool kids. It was just fun to be able to learn about them a little bit and hang out. It is hard to sit through all these meetings and not be interacting with kids. Now I am motivated again. :)
I keep forgetting that I am going to be teaching 7th and 8th grade. I am used to teaching older kids. It will be an adjustment from me to say the least. Pray that it will go well!
I found out today that my job is designed is rather mind numbing. The way this class has been taught in previous years is that each student receives a notetaking guide. This is a workbook that has fill in the blank notes in it...So my job is to display a transparency and fill in the blanks for them. A monkey could teach this class. I might rock the boat a little bit and at least have a little fun! Not really sure what the school's thinking is as to why the class is set up like this.
2 more days and then I get to actually have kids in the desks!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Time for a new post missy! How are the kids? And the cooking ms chef?