Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm Back

I guess I haven't found the need to blog this school year because it has been well, normal. I go to school, I teach, I do something after school, I come home, I eat, I get some work done and I go to bed. Not too exciting if you ask me. But I guess since I am in a different country it is exciting. :)
If you need me to fill in the holes of June-December send me an email. Otherwise I am not going to fill you in and just go...
This weekend was fantastic. Friday night my roommate, Stacy, and I babysat. Living in the city has allowed for a lot more time with the families, which is a huge blessing. They aren't our families by any means, but it is nice to feel part of a family here. The family that we 'babysat' for has a 3rd grader, Jorge, and a 7th grader, Ana, and a 6 week old, David. There is a special story to this 6 week old. To make a really long story short, the Lezama's cook's sister abandonded her baby and the cook confided in Claudia (the mom) that she didn't know what to do and was going to bring him to an orphanage because she couldn't care for him. Claudia said no way you bring him here, and now they are working on trying to adopt him. The adoption process hit a road-block already so pray that things will work out. Also pray for his little heart. There is a hole in it and one of the valves might need surgery. It amazes me that they are so willing to just open their hearts to this little boy. He is very precious. I was just reading in James where is says take care of the widows and orphans...They are living The Word. I am so blessed to be around such loving people!
My roommate Stacy is also living out that verse. Over Christmas break a dad of a 3rd and 1st grader died suddenly of a brain anreusym. They are a Korean family and the mom doesn't speak English and only a little bit of Spanish. Stacy grew up speaking Korean and still speaks it with her mom and family. So she has been spending time with that family, trying to help them adjust and just support them in this time. Pray for this family. The dad was so sweet and such a good man. And pray for Stacy as tries to support them and care for them.
Back to the weekend...babysitting was just fun. I spend quite a bit of time with this family, so I feel at home in their beautiful home. We made cookies, sang really off key to ridiculous songs, watched a movie and just relaxed in our pj's. That relaxing in our pj's carried over to Saturday...I managed to spend the whole day in pj's. I didn't even do that over Christmas break! I got stuff done, like yard work, just in my pj's and when I was done working, I just put clean pj's on. It was amazing. I read a book, watched 3 episodes of Gilmore girls (my roommates and I are addicted)...We all needed a day like that. Then today I went to church with Claudia, Ana, and Stacy. I go to church almost every week with Claudia and Ana and the rest of the family. We go to a church that is smaller and up by the school. There are a lot of great families from the school there so the fellowship is a blessing. And it is just a fun time with my "Honduran family". Today was also a successful day in the kitchen...pita, hummus and snickerdoodles. A natural trio of course...they were all delicious!
My roommate Twana has a twin sister...her twin sister had a baby today. We got to see her when she was 45 minutes old, via skype and they live in China. Got to love technology.
This week is the end of the quarter. It will be a busy week and the kids will be stressed out and extra whiney :) Good thing I love them! Have I said that I LOVE my job?! I wake up at 5 every morning to get on the bus at 6 and probably only once or twice this year have I thought ugg I don't want to get up and go to school today...and then probably because it was gross weather.
See told you...my life isn't that exciting! But take it for what it is, I love my life!

No comments: