Sunday, January 23, 2011

December Showers bring January Flowers?!

One of the many things I love about Honduras is 80 degree weather in January. Nice weather meant gardening for us this weekend. Friday after work, my roommate Twana and I walked to a local greenhouse and bought 8 plants and a bag of dirt. Like true gringas we walked back...got to love that everything is in walking distance! Not going to lie I am still a bit sore from carrying that dirt! For about an hour and a half we dug out the bulbs that had been planted in the planter. They were boring, we wanted fun. So here are the plants we pulled out...and Twana using our 'scissors' to attack some of the ridiculous root systems!









And our final product! The houses in the background are what our house looks like. There are 15 of them in our little community that is part of a bigger neighborhood. It is a wonderful safe neighborhood! And now we have flowers to enjoy!

Along with planting flowers a hilight of my week was talking to Steph who taught with me here last year. She is now living in the happiest place in America, Nebraska for those who missed that on ABC, and she is married and doing great. Experiencing life here creates a strong bond, which I am truly thankful for! Most of you just wouldn't know and care that Annelise is dating Fernando, so I am so very thankful for a friend that knows and understands Honduran life! :)

Tomorrow I have Bible Study...I do Bible Study with my roommates and we have the wonderful blessing of working with 7th grade girls. Most of our 7th grade girls have one thing on their mind...BOYS! I tell you folks, these girls are boy crazy! And though they are 12 or 13 they like to act like they are 20. When I was 12 I liked a boy and he liked me, and he would draw me pictures and I would pretend I didn't like him. Or my friends would be "going out" so that meant I had to pass the notes for them and their gifts and they didn't talk to each other! :) Not these kids...wow...they have their blackberries so they are in CONSTANT communication. And they are so 'pony' or cheesy or sappy or just wow...but they LOVE each other. They get all these quotes from movies and dedicate them to each other...it is rather entertaining. I just worry about these girls being addicted to the attention of boys, because some of them are developing that. If only God had a blackberry...Pray for us as we work with these beautiful girls that we do LOVE!

2 comments:

Les Hon said...

What a lovely home, and lovely flowers!! Wonderful!

Glad those boy-crazy girls have some wise women to teach them!!

Dena said...

Jealous of your garden :) I love the picture at the end and I'm sure those girls love you...